Sunday, August 13, 2006

Ooopsy!

I went out to Canmore yesterday afternoon to meet up with Cory to go for a ride. When I got out there the weather was looking a little sketchy and the trails were going to be pretty muddy so we decided to wait until morning instead. We played a round of Frisbee golf at the Canmore Nordic Centre and then went for sushi and a movie in Banff.

I crashed on a surprisingly comfortable pull-out couch. This morning we had some breakfast and headed back up to the Nordic Center to ride the 24 hours of Adrenaline trail. Cory is racing in it next week so it was a good opportunity for him to check it out. There were some very big hills to conquer straight away, but after that it was lots of up and down with some really fun technical downhills. I rode the technical parts pretty smoothly and even passed some guys (tee-hee). Except for my stamina on prolonged climbs I was doing pretty well. We finished the course and then headed back towards Cory's place on a trail instead of the road.

Part-way down the trail, which was relatively flat and smooth, something fetched up and the next thing I know I'm in the bushes. In the bushes, facing back in the direction from which I just came, with my bike on top of me. I had my usual reaction of bursting out laughing, but it was quickly followed by "owww!" I scraped an inch-long chunk of skin out of my knee and banged it pretty bad. I decided to wait for Cory to take my bike off me and help me up rather than try to do it myself. Here are some pictures of the gore. It's nothing like Elaine's, but there is some blood involved.
The local scenery

Cory and I mid-ride

After the crash

Checking out my wounds

The close-up

No comments: