Sunday, November 19, 2006

Skiing

I finally got out skiing for the first time this year. The hills opened last weekend but thanks to a lot of snow this past week, conditions were still wonderful. There were few rocks to be hit and lots of powder to be had. Dave and I went to Sunshine, which is my typical early-season hill, but I've heard Lake Louise is just as good right now. Perhaps I'll get there next time.

Much to my chagrin, Sunshine has followed Lake Louise's lead and is charging a $10 activation fee for the Direct-to-Lift access this year. It is the biggest rip-off in the world and there seems to be nothing you can do about it. The resorts know that it really pisses people off but they know they can get away with it because people don't want to wait in line. I don't know what burns my ass more, the fact that I am saving them money by having the option yet they still charge more for it, or that it's some of their most loyal customers that use the option and that's who they are screwing over. Either way, it's ridiculous.

Louise seems to always be one step ahead though. This year they are still charging the fee, but calling it a Louise Card "Plus" this time. The "plus" option gives you Direct-to-Lift but it also gives you the right to "first tracks" on the last Sunday of every month and 20% off in-resort food orders. Apparently this is their answer to last year's letters of complaint. I'll give it to them that they have done something, but it's not much.

I wrote a letter of complaint last year to Louise and will be doing the same for Sunshine this year. I recomend everyone else do the same. Here are the details for the Sunshine Card and their comment page if you feel like following suit.

No comments: