Saturday, September 15, 2007

Calgary, AB to Hope, BC

Going to California with an aching, in my heart (Zepplin)

Mom and I hit the road at about 8:15 this morning after a tearful goodbye and a last look at my first condo. With the morning light shining the city looked beautiful as I drove down Memorial Dr for the last time as a Calgarian.

Our first stop was at the Spiral Tunnels on the Kicking Horse Pass, something I had never actually seen before. As we came up to the pass I saw a train was on its way so we pulled in to the viewpoint/interpretive center and watched it descend through the tunnels. It was really something to see, a great Canadian engineering feat.

Next we took a drive up to Takkakaw Falls. I always get a kick out of the road that goes up there, with the switchbacks basically going up a cliff. I was hoping to see a bus pull it off but no such luck today. Once at Takkakaw Falls we did the short walk to the best viewpoint and took some pictures.

From there it was pretty much straight driving until we got to Hope, BC where we grabbed some groceries before finding a campsite for the night. We are now at Wild Rose Campground, wasting time before an early turn-in. I’ll keep you updated as to how Mom handled camping for the first time in over 20 years. My next post may be from a hotel.
(I'll add photos later, my connection is slow)

No comments: