Saturday, November 11, 2006

High Five

I finally got to see Borat last night. I went with Elaine and some of her friends. I hadn't had much Borat experience yet, just a clip from Youtube and many quotes from Pete, but I was pretty sure I knew what I was going to see.

It was absolutely hilarious! The things this guy will do with a straight face are amazing, it really is a talent. The movie gets going with shock value right away and doesn't let up until the last minute. And no one is spared; Americans, Kazakhis, Gypsies, homosexuals, heterosexuals, women, Jews, chocolate-faces, vanilla-faces, overweight people, ugly people, skinny people (himself), mentally and physically handicapped people... you name it, Borat offends it.

Over the course of the movie I watched a number of people get fed-up and leave the theater. They weren't just going to the bathroom, they had all their shopping bags with them, they were out-of-there. They all lasted a surprisingly long time, but after about a half hour they started to trickle out. My guess is that they no longer found it funny when Borat started making fun of them. It's okay to laugh when it's at someone else's expense, but hey, make fun of me and it's not so funny any more.

I truly can see why it is a controversial movie, and why people were legitimately offended. But, I think you must keep a sense of humour and take it as the social commentary that it is. If racism didn't exist you couldn't make a movie about it. If red-neck Texans who want to kill all Muslims didn't exist then they couldn't be featured in this movie. It's out there, and Borat is showing the world (in a very, very funny way!)


5 comments:

miss.elaine.eos said...

I think my new line at the bar will be "and now we have sexy time"? Can you imagine the look on some guys face if I said that to him. (as a joke) Hilarious!

Kate said...

I bet you'd have some success with that line.

My Top Ten said...

I loved the movie, too! Have you checked out my review of it on my blog?

Kate said...

I did check out your review, it was one of the reasons I really wanted to go see it. I figured the scene that made you laugh so hard might have been the fight scene???? Just a guess.

My Top Ten said...

Yep, that was the one...)